Mr. K's house of various things

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ok ok

Here's another post. I know you are all on the edges of your seats so I'll try to "bring it" with some brevity. If you haven't looked already I've added some new photos to my picassa thingy. I'll cover some of them in detail as I go on. First of all is the matter of my life here which inevitably involves the status of my job. Let's just say it's "ok". It's not the most interesting job ever and the awkward schedule keeps me from having a life. I get out from time to time but it's usually by myself. Which of course leads me to the matter language learning. I mean you all know the reason I came here was to learn Japanese. Don't get me wrong. I've learned alot and I've gotten some chances to improve my speaking, but it's not what I expected. So far my greatest achievements are opening a bank account (which is way harder than you might imagine, what with all the documentation in squiggly Japanese writing) and getting a decent haircut (at least I think it is.) In fact, I had a great conversation with a very cute stylist.

So in my free I just tend to wander around and see what I can find. I picked up some nifty stickers for my phone at Tokyu Hands, which is now one of my favorite stores. While I was walking around I was surprised to find there are actually quite alot of Christmas lights around. Tokyo is really quite pretty this time of the year. There are also many cool "ghettos" with lots of cool things that you would never expect. There was even a shop that was full of plushies from the Gremlins movies still in the original packaging. And even some cool game references. (This one's for you Nate.)

Although many of the things here are good I've got to get some things off my chest. So here is my list of things that suck in Japan.

Trains (that's a given)
No Mexican food (is Japan a land of savages?)
Last train at Midnight but last call is at 5:00AM (WTF! LOL BBQ!?)
No Cheddar cheese (again: savages?)
A troubling lack of garbage cans (how does it stay so clean?)
Popular comedy is still based on vaudeville (no lol)
Napkins are made of plastic (try wiping your hands with a garbage bag)
$7.00 cup of tea. (Take that $5.00 milkshake)
Xenophobia (boo!)

I'm sure I could go on for a while, but I gotta save some material for my next post.

2 Comments:

  • Does that Pac Man have a Yamulka, or a shaved head? I can't tell, but I like the dichotomoty of implications for each.

    By Blogger anotherfluke, at 5:27 PM  

  • I also like dichotomoty, which is the evil twin brother of dichotomy.

    By Blogger anotherfluke, at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home